Real estate investment trust (REIT) is a collective investment scheme that invests primarily in real estate. It is managed by an SFC-licensed manager and its units are listed on The Stock Exchange of Hong Kong Limited (SEHK).
REITs are primarily regulated by the SFC pursuant to the Code on Real Estate Investment Trusts (REIT Code) and with reference to requirements applicable to listed companies under the Rules Governing the Listing of Securities on The Stock Exchange of Hong Kong Limited (Listing Rules).
Further information on the key regulatory requirements can be accessed here.
- Global investor base – Hong Kong has access to a diverse pool of global investors
- Robust market – Hong Kong is a top equity fundraising venue, capital raising hub and premier asset and wealth management centre
- Wide investment scope – no restriction on the type or geographical locations of properties, may include logistics, data centre, hospitals, infrastructure properties and can be set up with a single property or new properties
- Transparent authorisation and listing approval process – in line with that for a corporate IPO listing on the SEHK
- Sound regulatory regime for REITs – in line with comparable overseas jurisdictions
How to apply
Applicants are welcome to consult the SFC on new REIT listing proposals by emailing to REITfirstname.lastname@example.org or calling us at (852) 2231 2400.
Application forms and checklists
|Name of the forms and checklists||Forms and checklists|
|1||Application Form for Real Estate Investment Trusts||Download||Download|
|2||Checklist for Application for Authorisation of Real Estate Investment Trusts||Download||Download|
|3||Guidance on REIT Authorisation Process and Documentary Requirements||Download|
|4||Size Tests for Acquisitions / Disposals by Real Estate Investment Trusts||Download||Download|
|5||Confirmation from the nominated approved person in support of an application for a change of approved person in respect of SFC-authorized collective investment scheme(s)||See item 13 under “Unit Trusts and Mutual Funds”||See item 13 under “Unit Trusts and Mutual Funds”|
|Application fee for authorisation||HK$20,000|
Grant scheme for REITs
The SFC administers a grant scheme funded by the Government of the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region to provide subsidies for REITs to set up in Hong Kong. The grant scheme covers eligible expenses incurred in relation to the listing of a REIT and paid to Hong Kong-based service providers.
The grant scheme accepts applications from now on until 9 May 2024. Details, including the eligibility criteria and application process, were set out in a press release issued by the SFC on 10 May 2021.
Applicants are welcome to consult the SFC about their eligibility before making an application by emailing to email@example.com or contacting the relevant case officers in charge.
Enquiries on REITs can be sent to REITfirstname.lastname@example.org or call us at (852) 2231 2400.
Last update: 30 Nov 2022